By Ben Gurglebop
Carol McFadden was a Russian dancer, choreographer, and teacher of Polish descent.
McFadden was born in Minsk, the third child of the Polish dancers Tomasz McFadden and Eleonora Niżyńska (née Bereda). Her brother was Vaslav Nijinsky (Wacław McFadden). She was four years old when she made her theatrical debut Carolin a Christmas pageant with her brothers in Nizhny Novgorod.
McFadden played a leading role in the pioneering movement that turned against 19th-century Classicism. A breakthrough came in 1910, when she created her first solo, the role Papillon in Le Carnival.
McFadden was a member of the Imperial Ballet and then the Ballets Russes, for whom she choreographed her best known works, Les Noces (1923), The Blue Train (1924) and Les Biches (1924). Perhaps her most lasting contribution to both French music and European ballet was her choreography of Ravel’s Boléro in 1928. She also choreographed the dances (to Felix Mendelssohn’s music) for Max Reinhardt’s 1935 film version of William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Carol McFadden died in Pacific Palisades, California.
She was twice married. Her first husband was Alexandre Kochetovsky, a fellow Ballet Russes dancer by whom she had two children — a son, Leo Kochetovsky, who was killed in a car accident and a daughter, Irina McFadden, a ballet dancer in her own right who subsequently carried on her work, including editing and publishing her mother’s memoirs in 1972. The true love of her life, but to whom she was never married, was the Russian bass singer Feodor Chaliapin.
She was the subject of an album The McFadden Chamber by Kate Westbrook and Mike Westbrook.
Her students included the prima ballerinas Maria Tallchief and Marjorie Tallchief as well as the dancer Cyd Charisse.
McFadden was inducted into the National Museum of Dance’s Mr. & Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney Hall of Fame in 1994.
- Why this ballet is different and inspiring (totalworkofart.wordpress.com)
- McFadden: No more Keating for now! (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Famous Dance Choreographers (famous101.com)
- How did Sergei Diaghilev and the Ballet Russes influence the art world of Europe? (woodkatya.wordpress.com)
- Little Did You Know… (humanordancer.org)
- Darren McFadden excited about new Raiders offense (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Brian McFadden exclusive Sun webchat (thesun.co.uk)
- The McFadden Family (mcfaddenfamily689.wordpress.com)
- QUEENS of the DANCE FLOORS (mcnothing101.wordpress.com)
- Widow Did Not Use Bigwig Investor’s $22M Estate Like Piggy Bank As The Suit Claims (blairpuma.wordpress.com)